‘Please note that we have some kit that can be borrowed, so long as it is returned after the Expedition/event in the condition it went out in! It is lent on a first come, first served basis. It must come back in on the agreed date otherwise you will incur a £1/week late fee!. People who persistently don’t return kit will not be able to borrow it again.
After Expedition training all teams must undergo as many official practices as necessary to ensure that they can complete their Final in a self sufficient and responsible manner, under remote supervision. After all the training we do that should mean one practice is all it needs! If a Practice opportunity is missed by an individual then the Final can be done as a Practice, and then the Final undertaken later in the year (probably Oct half term) with others who also miss the boat this term.
A Practice at Bronze must include one nights camping; Silver is two nights and Gold is two nights too but we like to do three, because of the tough navigation and conditions in wild country.
A full expedition kit list is found below, as well as ideas for expedition food.
Please make sure that everything on the list is packed and don’t forget to leave room for team kit like a tent or trangia or fuel.
Menu planning and food choices are an important part of training, so that everyone knows what they are going to bring personally and will be cooking with their teams for their evening meal. Too many individual dinner choices makes for a lot of fuel carrying!
It is not appropriate to bring things to cook at lunch time for various reasons: safety, hygiene, convenience, teamwork, need for extra fuel (and therefore extra to carry), timings – especially when teams are already behind due to getting mislaid or inclement weather!
Please say if you have any problems getting to or being collected from the start/finish points.
- Bronze DofE Expedition Training Framework is to be found here
- Silver Training Framework is found here
- Gold Training Framework is found here
- The 20 Conditions of the DofE Assessment are here
- A successful final (2019)
- ALL cheques to made out to Gillingham DofE OAC please.
- BACs: sortcode 30.98.97 (Lloyds) a/c 47830260 – Bank Ref MUST BE full name of participant.
Next Season’s dates are here as a download: 2019-20 Calendar
Teams attend on Tuesdays until their Expedition Presentation is completed
Don’t forget that a Gold Expedition presentation based on your Aim is expected. Our advice would be to get on with this in the summer holidays because, come September, life will swoosh forward yet again! Deadline Tues 1st October 2019.
All borrowed kit to be returned on Tues 3 September 2019. £10 late fee!!
Gillingham DofE Open Award Centre – Proposed Calendar 2019-2020 as @27/6/19
See Gillingham school calendar at https://www.gillingham-dorset.co.uk/whats-happening/calendars/public-calendar
We meet Tuesdays after school – currently at the Youth Centre SP84AZ. Regular attendance is as below.
Autumn Term Sep 2 to Dec 20 (half term w/b 28 Oct)
- Tues 3 – Leaders back for staff meeting
- Tues 10, 17, 24 – info and enrolment for all levels
- Gold only on regular basis from 01/10 to about 10/12 avoiding exam timetable
- Tues 1 Oct, 6 for 6.30pm, at Gill School, Awards Evening
- Sun 20/10 – Day Hike, Bronze and Directs
- Sat and Sun 9-10/11 Gold Wild Country Trg,
- Sat and Sun 23-24/11 Basic Training, Carey, Bronze and Directs
- Sat 14/12 FIRST AID – Bronze and Directs
- Golds finish planning – goodbye until end of June!
CHRISTMAS HOLS – 21/12/19 to 5/1/20 INC
Spring term Jan 6 to Apr 3 (half term w/b 17 Feb)
- Silver only on regular basis to the end of spring term (Bronze start Mar)
- Sat 11/1 – Day Hike, Bronze and Directs
- Fri 14/2 FIRST AID – Bronze and Directs (Inset day)
- Sat and Sun 15-16/2 Silver Trg
- Bronze on regular basis to end of June
- Fri (after school) to Sun 6 – 8/3 Silver Practice
- Sat to Sun 21 – 22/3 – day and overnight Bronze Trg
EASTER HOLS – 4 to 19/4 (Gill Inset on the 20/4) INC (Easter BH 10-13/4)
Summer term Apr 21 to July 20 (half term w/b 25/5)
- Bronze on regular basis to end of June
- Sat to Mon 18 – 20/4 Silver Final
- Sat to Sun 9-10/5 Bronze Practice half the teams (May 8 BH)
- Sat to Sun 16-17/5 Bronze Practice half the teams
- Sat to Sun 6-7/6 Bronze Final all teams
- Sat to Tues 27-30/6 Gold Practice
- Fri to Tues 17 – 21/7 Gold Final
SUMMER HOLS – From the 21/7 (Gill Inset on the 20/7)