We meet most Term-time Tuesdays after school in the Slade Centre and individuals/parents are welcome to drop in for help any time.
Regular team attendance for Silver expedition planning and preparation is during the spring term; Bronzes from March until June. Golds will do their planning in one day in the future: see the gold page
Teams continue to work together until their Expedition Presentation is completed
The Expedition section has three elements for all to cover at all levels:
- Getting all the basics in place. Direct supervision
- Bronzes/Directs do full basic training including 1st Aid and overnight camping
- Acclimatisation and upskilling for Silvers and Golds
- Can they do a self sufficient Final? Close, moving to remote supervision
- Bronze – a day, overnight and morning
- Silver – 2 nights, 2 days
- Gold – 3 nights, 3-4 days (room for refresher training)
- Fully self sufficient and appropriately remotely supervised
- Bronze – 2 days (6hrs planned journeying) 1 night
- Silver – 3 days (7hrs planned journeying) 2 nights
- Gold – 4 days (8hrs planned journeying) 3 nights
If expedition stages are missed by an individual we ask other Dorset Council DofE centres to help.
- Kit List
- Kit does not need to be especially bought at first
- Please make sure that everything on the list is packed and don’t forget to leave room for team kit like a tent or trangia or fuel. Don’t overpack.
- We have some kit that can be borrowed, so long as it is returned after the Expedition/event in the condition it went out in! It is lent on a first come, first served basis. It must come back in on the agreed date otherwise you will incur a £1/week late fee! That late fee will go up. People who persistently don’t return kit will not be able to borrow it again.
Menu planning and food choices:
- D of E Gourmet Meal Suggestions
- An important part of training so you know
- personal needs
- collective team evening meal.
- Please do NOT bring things needing hot water at lunch time – for various reasons: safety, hygiene, convenience, teamwork, need for extra fuel (and therefore extra to carry), timings – especially when teams are already behind due to getting mislaid or inclement weather!
- Gill DofE OAC 2019 – 20 Calendar in chronological order
- 2019-20 Calendar with costs grouped per level
- 2019-20 Parent Consent and Medical Form
- Gillingham school public calendar
- Kit List
- D of E Gourmet Meal Suggestions
- Bronze DofE Expedition Training Framework is to be found here
- Silver Training Framework is found here
- Gold Training Framework is found here
- The 20 Conditions of the DofE Assessment are here
- A successful final (2019)
Event details are below.
Further Activity Detail is added to offsite events as the dates get closer. Please say if you have any problems getting to or being collected from the start/finish points.
- ALL cheques made out to Gillingham DofE OAC please.
- BACs transfer: sortcode 30.98.97 (Lloyds) a/c 47830260 – Bank Ref MUST BE full name of participant
Spring term Jan 6 to Apr 3 (half term w/b 17 Feb)
- Silver only on regular basis from Tuesday Jan 7th at 4pm in the Slade Centre until the end of spring term (Bronze start Mar
- Fri 14/2 FIRST AID – Bronze and Directs (Inset day)
- Please come to the North (School Lane) side of the Main Hall at Gillingham School.
- Arrive 8.45am. Finish by 4pm. You will need a packed lunch. You will have your own 1st Aid book to take away
- Sat and Sun 15-16/2 Silver Trg
- Download full details here: 19-20 Activity Details Silver Training 15-16 Feb 2020
- All participants must bring and hand in a consent form if not already handed in. 2019 Parent Consent and Medical Form
- Please do not forget the £40 fee.
- Wed to Fri 19 to 21/2 Gold Trg for newcomers, during half term, bunkhouse
- Bronze on regular basis at the Slade Centre to end of June
- Fri (after school) to Sun 6 – 8/3 Silver Practice
- Sat to Sun 21 – 22/3 – day and overnight Bronze Trg
EASTER HOLS – 4 to 19/4 (Gill Inset on the 20/4) INC (Easter BH 10-13/4)
Summer term Apr 21 to July 20 (half term w/b 25/5)
- Bronze on regular basis to end of June
- Sat to Tues 4 to 7 Apr Gold Trg for newcomers, during Easter Hols
- Sat to Tues 4 to 7 Apr Gold Practice, if training completed previously
- Sat to Mon 18 – 20/4 Silver Final
- Sat to Sun 9-10/5 Bronze Practice half the teams (May 8 BH)
- Sat to Sun 16-17/5 Bronze Practice half the teams
- Sat to Sun 6-7/6 Bronze Final all teams
- Sat to Tues 27-30/6 Gold Practice
- Fri to Tues 17 – 21/7 Gold Final
SUMMER HOLS – From the 21/7 (Gill Inset on the 20/7)