In 2021, we will be meeting in the Dance Studio (above the Multi Purpose Sports Hall) at Gillingham School from immediately after school: 3.30pm until 5.30pm
Individuals/parents are welcome to drop in for help any time.
Regular team attendance for Silver expedition planning and preparation is during the spring term; Bronzes from March until June. Golds will do their planning in one day in the future: see the gold page
Teams continue to work together until their Expedition Presentation is completed
The Expedition section has three elements for all to cover at all levels:
- Getting all the basics in place. Direct supervision
- Bronzes/Directs do full basic training including 1st Aid and overnight camping
- Acclimatisation and upskilling for Silvers and Golds
- Can they do a self sufficient Final? Close, moving to remote supervision
- Bronze – a day, overnight and morning
- Silver – 2 nights, 2 days
- Gold – 3 nights, 3-4 days (room for refresher training)
- Fully self sufficient and appropriately remotely supervised
- Bronze – 2 days (6hrs planned journeying) 1 night
- Silver – 3 days (7hrs planned journeying) 2 nights
- Gold – 4 days (8hrs planned journeying) 3 nights
If expedition stages are missed by an individual we ask other Dorset Council DofE centres to help.
- Kit List
- Kit does not need to be especially bought at first
- Please make sure that everything on the list is packed and don’t forget to leave room for team kit like a tent or trangia or fuel. Don’t overpack.
- We have some kit that can be borrowed, so long as it is returned after the Expedition/event in the condition it went out in! It is lent on a first come, first served basis. It must come back in on the agreed date otherwise you will incur a £1/week late fee! That late fee will go up. People who persistently don’t return kit will not be able to borrow it again.
Menu planning and food choices:
- D of E Gourmet Meal Suggestions
- An important part of training so you know
- personal needs
- collective team evening meal.
- Please do NOT bring things needing hot water at lunch time – for various reasons: safety, hygiene, convenience, teamwork, need for extra fuel (and therefore extra to carry), timings – especially when teams are already behind due to getting mislaid or inclement weather!
- 20-21 overview, for all levels with prices updated Sept22
- Medical and Parental Consent GillOAC 2020
- Gillingham school public calendar
- Kit List
- D of E Gourmet Meal Suggestions
- Bronze DofE Expedition Training Framework is to be found here
- Silver Training Framework is found here
- Gold Training Framework is found here
- The 20 Conditions of the DofE Assessment are here
- A successful final (2019)
All dates are below.
Further Activity Detail is added to offsite events as the dates get closer. Please say if you have any problems getting to or being collected from the start/finish points.
- Bank account: Gillingham DofE OAC
- BACs transfer: sortcode 30.98.97 (Lloyds) a/c 47830260 – Bank Ref MUST BE full name of participant
All dates are subject to any COVID-19 restrictions in place at the time
Current health and safety measures are here: Covid Expedition Security as at 20 July 2020 . As we are not able to camp overnight the expeditions will be consecutive days of activity plus tea, review and then home, until guidance is updated from Westminster.
Spring term Mon Jan 4 to Thurs Apr 1 (half term w/b 15 Feb 2021)
- Sun 3 Jan 2021 FIRST AID in the MPH at Gillingham School has been postponed to Friday February 12 2021. A school inset day.
- Sat 16 Jan Bronze Day Hike will not take place due to national lockdown
- Silver planning sessions will start as soon as school returns to full attendance
Feb – all dates in Feb are now subject to potential change.
- Fri 12 Feb Gold Planning for the 2021 Finals – all day
- Fri 12 Feb Silver Directs basic training – all day
- Fri 12 Feb Bronze First Aid training (Jan 3rd Group)
- Sat to Tues 13-16 Feb Gold training for new cohort on Dartmoor
- Sun 21 Feb Bronze Day Hike `
- Bronze on regular basis from Tues 16/3 to beg of July
- Sat/Sun 13/14 March Silver Training
- Sat/Sun 27/28 March Bronze one day and overnight, finish after breakfast
EASTER HOLS – 2 to 18/4 (Easter BH 2-5 Apr)
Fri to Tues 9-13 April Gold Final – Forest of Dean
Sat to Mon morning 10-12 April Silver Practice – same area as Gold
Thurs to Sun 15-18 April Gold Training and/or Practice for new cohort on Dartmoor
Summer term Apr 19 to July 23 (half term w/b 31/5 – BH)
- AWARDS CEREMONY for 2019-20 groups – Tues 20 April
- Bronze on regular basis to beg of July
- Sat to Mon May 1-3 Silver Final
- Tues May 25 2021-22 Enrolments Information Session
- Sat to Sun 22/23 May Bronze Practice half the teams
- Sat to Sun 5/6 June Bronze Practice half the teams
- Sat to Sun 19/20 June Bronze Final all teams
- Fri to Tues 9 – 13/7 Gold Practice and/or Final on Dartmoor
- Sat to Wed 24 – 28/7 Gold Final on Dartmoor (if needed)
SUMMER HOLS – Start Sat 24 July 2021